Woking United Reformed Church was formed in 2005 from the joining of St Andrews URC and York Road URC, using the White Rose Lane premises (the former St. Andrew’s). As such we are a new church with historic roots.
The church in York Rd was founded in 1899 as Mount Hermon Congregational Church by a group of 34 Christian men and women who signed a covenant.
St. Andrews was built in 1952 to house the local congregation of the Presbyterian Church which had begun life in Woking in 1941 in temporary premises.
With the union of the Congregational and Presbyterian denominations to form the United Reformed Church in 1972, Woking had two congregations of the same denomination within a relatively short distance of each other. The decision to join together on the White Rose Lane site in 2005 was taken in the expectation that this would provide a better platform for united work and witness in the future.
In 2009-10 the site at White Rose Lane underwent a major redevelopment project to make it a more modern and welcoming facility for worship and outreach. The Church worshipped at the Park School in the interim and returned to the new site at Christmas 2010.
Today, the church plays an important part in the life of Woking, hosting many community groups on its premises and engaging in various social and outreach projects.